This is the best Angel Food recipe ever. It is a family favorite. We can go through one (large) cake in a sitting.
You will need to buy cake flour, if you do not already have it at home. Same with almond extract. Those are the 2 items I did not seem to have stocked in my cupboards.
1 cup cake flour sifted
1 ½ cup granulated sugar, sifted and split into 2 x ¾ cups
12 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
½ almond extract
1 small bowl
1 extra large bowl
electric mixer or whisk
angel food or other cake pan
- In a small bowl sift 1 cup of cake flour with ¾ cup of granulated sugar and set aside.
- Beat 12 egg whites with cream of tartar on medium speed until they become fluffy. Add the other ¾ of sifted sugar gradually and mix until it becomes pillowy.
- Continue to beat on medium speed and add vanilla, lemon juice, and almond extract. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- add sifted flour and sugar mixture to egg mixture 1 tablespoon at a time and fold in with a spatula (very gently), until all of the flour is mixed with the egg mixture and it is combined into a fluffy, pillowy batter.
- Pour batter into non-greased cake pan. Tap on counter a few times to release unnecessary air bubbles. Bake at 300 degrees for 40 to 60 minutes, depending on your over. The top should be a light golden color and spring back when you touch it with your finger.
|Ready to pour into the pan.|
|The Finished Product!|